La parole est aux speakers : Derick Rethans
Jusqu’au PHP Tour Montpellier 2018, retrouvez nos interviews de speakers pour mieux comprendre leur parcours et le sujet qu’ils aborderont lors de leur conférence !
It's all about the goto
Don't worry, this is not about the goto keyword. In this presentation, I am showing you some of the inner workings of PHP. We are going to look at how different language keywords and constructs are handled internally. Basically, everything is converted to goto, but the how and why, is not as simple as it seems! This is a very in depth talk, mostly interesting to people that want to know how PHP works internally. Expect lots of wonkyness, a form of assembly, and trees.
You’re a mapping enthusiast. How did your passion for maps and OpenStreetMap come?
I have always liked maps, and would always by extensive ones before going on a trip. When I had just moved to the UK in 2009, I had an OpenMoko « phone ». As this was a fully Open Source phone, it had a map viewing program Tango GPS (now Foxtrot GPS) using OpenStreetMap tiles.
When I went out hiking for the first time with friends, I had brought the « phone » along to see where we should be going and found plenty of things (parking place, paths) missing from the map. And when I got back home I did some research into adding these things.
That then leads to finding the local OpenStreetMap user group, as I was new in London, and they combined walking (i.e., mapping London), maps (duh!) and visiting pubs after a mapping party. This combination worked great for me, and I’ve met many of my current friends through these mapping parties.
After these first changes, I have kept my neighbourhood up to date, and mapped nearly every building and address. In the last 9 years, I’ve added 240 000 points, and 53 000 ways and nearly 50 000 addresses!
You’re the maintainer of the Xdebug project, could you tell us about its latest features?
Xdebug 2.6 came out at the end of January, and features support for PHP 7.2. PHP 5 is no longer supported. In this new version, there are also a bunch of new features.
Xdebug now can provide information about PHP’s garbage collector, which can show how well it has functioned and how much memory was cleared up. It has new filtering capabilities, which can drastically improve Code Coverage generation times, and there are various smaller enhancements to the profiler and remote step debugger.
How is the PHP community in London?
Since I’ve lived in London, I always found there to be a vibrant PHP community. They have been meeting once a month for more than 10 years, with regular meetups: The first Thursday of each month. About 100 people show up, and the talks are about PHP itself, but also related technolgies.
|Derick Rethans is a PHP internals expert, author of Xdebug and an OpenStreetMap and mapping enthusiast. He has contributed in a number of ways to the PHP project, including the Xdebug debugging tool, and various extensions and additions. He's a frequent lecturer at conferences, the author of php|architect's Guide to Date and Time Programming, and the co-author of PHP 5 Power Programming. He is now working at MongoDB, where he works on drivers.|
- La parole est aux speakers : Sarah Haïm-Lubczanski
- La parole est aux speakers : Romain Monceau
- La parole est aux speakers : Ulrich Lusseau
- La parole est aux speakers : Arnaud Lemaire
- La parole est aux speakers : Kevin Dunglas
- La parole est aux speakers : Joel Wurtz
- La parole est aux speakers : Quentin Pautrat
- La parole est aux speakers : Julien Vinber
- La parole est aux speakers : Edouard Cunibil
- La parole est aux speakers : Nicolas Grekas
- La parole est aux speakers : Jean Pasdeloup et Romain Cottard
- La parole est aux speakers : Frédéric Hardy
- La parole est aux speakers : Benoit Jacquemont
- La parole est aux speakers : Nicolas Wurtz
- La parole est aux speakers : Hannes Van De Vreken
- La parole est aux speakers : Cédric Spalvieri
- La parole est aux speakers : Michael Bodnarchuk
- La parole est aux speakers : Hélène Schapira
- La parole est aux speakers : Mathieu Santostefano
- La parole est aux speakers : Grégoire Pineau
- La parole est aux speakers : Richard Hanna
- La parole est aux speakers : Julien Pauli